“Permit” me in!

As the elective approaches, I need to apply to get permission to enter into Jerusalem and other Palestinian territories, currently under Israel’s control. The elective consists of rotation in multiple sites within the Palestinian Territories, Israel, and the Refugee camps. Since I am a Palestinian and identify as one legally, I must apply to enter areas that are under Israeli control despite the fact that I am an American citizen. This does not apply to the other American students and do not have to pursue this permit application process. It is a rather cumbersome process that entails submitting the magnet card and Palestinian ID card. The Magnet card (see below) is essentially a security card that lasts 2 years. The Palestinian ID card is needed to pass any checkpoints, wall barriers, or interactions with the Israeli military. This typically leads to arrest if not presented on request.

I have included in my application a number of other documents in the hopes that it will work to my favor. Those include my American Passport, Carver College of Medicine ID badge, and a letter from the Global Programs Director and Associate Dean. We will see how this goes over and I will keep you posted. Fortunately, we have a back-up plan in place to work in other hospitals in the Palestinian territories.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 26 other followers

%d bloggers like this: